Welcome back, St. Louis. I’m here in your inbox today to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on in town. Because community information is power! Let’s do it…
First, today’s weather:
A heavy t-storm in the p.m. High: 92 Low: 71.
Here are the top three stories today in St. Louis:
- A 19-year-old University City High graduate was fatally shot on Wednesday afternoon. DeMario Smith was shot after confronting an individual he believed stole his keys near Pestalozzi Street and California Avenue. He was home for the summer after completing his freshman year at Morehouse College in Atlanta. He was working at the QuikTrip at Chippewa and Gravois. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- St. Louis Dental Center will be providing free dental screenings and exams to veterans on Saturday. The free clinic will be from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. This is the second year that the center has hosted the free clinic. To pre-register, please call 314-685-3553. (KMOV4)
- A St. Louis County student has created this year’s Missouri Google Doodle. Grace Dai of Crestview Middle School created the doodle titled “The life-cycle of health” inspired by her love of the outdoors and family. Click to vote for your favorite doodle. (Fox 2 News)
From our sponsor:
Are you a St. Louis resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now, and many of them had the same answer: fine art.
Thinking you can’t afford a Picasso? Well in 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securitization of artwork. A company called Masterworks.io built the largest platform for buying and selling art securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this powerful investment.
Meaning, you can invest in shares of million-dollar artwork. And in uncertain times, it turns out, fine art may be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where St. Louis Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
See important Reg A Disclosures
Today in St. Louis:
- Lap Time At The Mid-County Branch Library (10:00 AM)
- Summer Lunches At The Lewis and Clark Branch Library (12:00 PM)
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
You’re officially in the loop for today! See you tomorrow morning for your next update.
— Helen Eckhard
About me: Helen Eckhard is a marketing assistant at Lightning Media Partners. She is a self-professed logophile who is currently pursuing her master’s degree in library science. Outside of work, you can find Helen constructing crossword puzzles, knitting, or devising increasingly crafty ways to kill off characters in her mystery novels.